Understanding Your Treatment Options
BRACHYTHERAPY also known as Internal Gamma Knife
or Nuclear Particle Knife
(A Type of Internal Radiation Therapy for Carcinomas
This treatment is one of the most advanced treatment methods for
nucleide to treat cancer (brachytherapy).
This type of treatment has been used extensively in Seattle , USA
for treating early stage prostate cancer. Our hospital was the first
in Guangzhou to introduce and have been implementing this
method of treatment and for the last 3 years with great success.
- Brachytherapy uses internal radiation to destroy cancer cells
and shrink tumors.
- The radiation source, which looks like rice is made of titanium.
Inside of it is a half-life iodine with an isotope of 125. This
seed source or micro-radiator emits low-energy radiation
continuously after it is planted accurately into the tumor or
the surrounding area/tissue attacked by cancer.
- The radioactive energy causes maximum destruction to the
tumor tissue with little or no injury to the normal tissue
- This form of internal radiation is far superior to external
radiation which is used in conventional radiotherapy
- With the help of a B ultrasonic or CT scanner, a 3-
dimensional particle is transplanted into the area to be
treated. The planting system is able to calculate the quantity
required of the particle, its position and dosage amount
based on the size of the tumor. Such information is necessary
to let the dosage field developed by the radiation to form a
‘hot zone’ which is compatible with the tumor treating zone in
order to kill the tumor. For normal tissue, particular organs
situated in the ‘cold zone’ of the dosage field are not affected
Features and Benefits of the treatment
- A ‘punctured particle’ needle is used to implant the particle
into the body. This is a simple operation and causes minimal
damage to the patient.
- This treatment can be used on any and every part of the
body which is accessible to the reach of the punctured
- This treatment method can be used for cases which have not
responded to other methods
- The low-energy radiation which is emitted continuously
effectively destroys the cancer cells. A sufficient dosage and
appropriate generation time period result in the total
eradication of the cancer cells and make for total recovery.
This method can be used for brain tumor, nasopharyngeal
carcinoma, lung cancer, cancer of esophagus, lymphoma, breast
cancer, prostate cancer, thyroid gland cancer, cervix cancer,
liver cancer, bone cancer, etc. Even cancers which have
metastasized after operation can be treated.
A Short Summary of the Brachytherapy treatment process:
- Take a PET/CT scan.
- After, our doctors will plan your treatment and brief you on
the course of treatment.
- A small tube called a catheter is placed into the body in the
vicinity of the tumor.
- Then the titanium pellets are inserted through the catheter
to destroy cancer cells.
- Over a number of days the radiation gets weaker until there
is no more radiation
back to the top
|China's Advanced Therapies
Hospital for Cancer
|Copyright © 2008
Wonder Sdn Bhd.